Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Glass Etching...who knew I could do this????

So we are attending an engagement party this weekend and, of course, the boyfriend wants to bring a Growler (gallon jug for those of you non-beer drinkers out there) of their favorite beer from our favorite local brewery - which I am totally cool with because this is seriously amazing beer!

However, I am feeling like maybe beer just doesn't say romance the way I think an engagement present should...so I start scanning the web for some ideas and I see some personalized wine glasses etched with the couples new initial.  So of course I am thinking I need these in beer glasses!
But the party is Saturday, and today is Tuesday and they would need to be shipped so that idea is out.....that is, until I find a tutorial on how to do it myself....YAY!

So here is how I did it:
-Bought a set of Pilsners Glasses at Target - on clearance for $13.94 for a set of 4
-Bought a bottle of Glass Etching Cream at Michaels - priced at $12.99, used a 40% off coupon making it $7.79 - and there is enough left over for lots of future projects :)
-Bought a roll of contact paper at Dollar Store - you guessed it, $1

Then, I went on the computer and found a pretty font and tested out a few different sizes until I found the "G" that I wanted for the glasses.
I printed it out on the contact paper with my regular old printer, then cut it out very carefully keeping the negative space intact.
Then I pulled the paper back off and stuck the contact paper right on the glass, pressing out any air bubbles.  It looked like this.....


Then, I applied the glass etching cream in a really thick layer over the letter like this.....

The bottle says to let it sit for 60 seconds but I let it sit a little longer and I'm glad I did because I don't think it would show up well enough otherwise.  Then when I was ready, I washed off the cream under running water and pulled off the contact paper and voila.......
Two personalized beer glasses to go along with some excellent beer!

The glass is really etched too....to make sure, I ran it under water and rubbed at it but it stayed just like that.
Beautiful :)



No comments:

Post a Comment